William McPherson’s Testing the Current
Maybe if the book had bombed, Bill would have remained primarily a journalist, but Testing the Current was met with the kind of reception writers fantasize about. In my copy of the original, I stuck three of the reviews that greeted the novel’s appearance. Russell Banks, in the NY Times, opens his piece with this: “William McPherson’s first novel is an extraordinarily intelligent, powerful and, I believe, permanent contribution to the literature of family, childhood and memory.” People proclaims that Testing the Current is “a beautiful first novel that provides a sharp, glowing portrait of a Midwestern town on the eve of World War II. McPherson’s loving attention to detail and the... funny, moving point of view keep the writing constantly fresh and involving.” USA Today says the novel “...is brilliant. In places it is absolutely breathtaking.” Testing the Current tells the story of a boy of around eight years old named Tommy MacAllister. Bill followed up on Tommy’s story three years later with To the Sargasso Sea, also well-received. Photo of Bill, 1987 (c) Nancy Crampton
Ever the adventurer, Bill headed to Europe in 1989 to witness firsthand the fall of the Communist empire, winding up on and off for most of the next six years in Romania, where he became something of a national celebrity. While that intriguing and amazing sharp turn resulted in some first-rate reporting for several publications, it left his readers still awaiting the third novel in the MacAllister saga. What’s more, the first two novels had long been out of print.
But in 2013, thanks to New York Review Books and D.T. Max (who wrote the Afterword), Testing the Current, originally published by Simon & Schuster, came back into print. Right around the time that the new edition came out, Politics & Prose Bookstore in D.C. hosted an event for Bill. A multitude of Bill’s friends and fans turned out for a Q&A between Bill and the eminent writer and critic Michael Dirda (as seen in the photo at left), all to mark this significant comeback of an American classic.
Bill’s death at age 84 on March 28, 2017, took him from his family and his wide circle of friends and readers. For me, it was the loss of a friend I truly treasured. We spoke on the phone frequently---long, often ridiculous and funny conversations. Bill was a raconteur and bon vivant (thank you, France) of the highest order. He led an incredible life of accomplishment, but died in relative poverty---he published an essay towards the end of his life outlining the decline of his fortunes that got national notice. But even during his last weeks in the hospital, he remained hilariously astute about life and his own situation.
When he won his Pulitzer in 1977, I, of course, took credit, and got this note from Bill:
©Terence
Winch
Permission
required to use any of the contents of this post.
What a genuine, gracious note from one good friend to another.
ReplyDeleteEmily---thanks for the comment.
DeleteTerence: Thanks for bringing Bill back to life for us--what a lovely man! I've ordered his first novel.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comment, David.
DeleteHe was a treasure, happily treasured by many others. Thank you for this sweet reminder, Terence. That photo is another treasure for me.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Terence. I love that my father lives on in your memory. I miss him.
ReplyDeleteFinally!---an anonymous commenter I can identify through the context. Thanks, Jane.
DeleteI just ordered TESTING THE CURRENT by William McPherson. How did I ever get this far down the line without reading it? I plan to start the moment I receive it. Thanks, Terence, for refreshing my memory so vividly about Bill's opus. No writer is ever truly dead if his work outlives him. In my own small way, I'm happy to contribute to keeping his work--and memory--alive. Slainte, Earle.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comment, Earle.
DeleteHe was amazing!
ReplyDelete