An Féar Gorta: A Visit to Ballyvaughan in County Clare

                                  photo by Terence Winch   

An Féar Gorta

If I ever go back home again, we will drive
through the countryside just as it is getting dark.
We will gather together in the town’s only hotel,
eating, and telling jokes at each other’s expense.

My heart beats steady there, my spirit alive
to every gesture, every glance, the fire and spark
we find in those we love. Those to whom we tell
our dark secrets along with our idiotic nonsense.

Whatever route I take, I always seem to get lost.
I have a tendency to choose the wrong road
to the wrong place. I wind up confused and stranded
wondering if I’ll ever make it home.

But I want that ticket back, no matter what the cost.
At An Féar Gorta I want that rhubarb tart a la mode.
I am even willing to stand in the rain, and be reprimanded
for the sorry, soggy state in which I’ve left this poem.

—from That Ship Has Sailed (Pitt Poetry Series, 2023)

___________________________________________________________________________

An Féar Gorta is one of my favorite eating establishments in the world. Located in Ballyvaughan, in county Clare, Ireland, where I have many beloved relations, it is a place, as the poem suggests, that I look forward to visiting again. 

I originally thought the term meant "the hungry man," as "fear" is “man” in Irish. But the fada (accent) confused me—instead of "fear," it's "féar," which means “grass.” So, the name translates to "The Hungry Grass," a term going back to the Famine. In Irish folklore, an féar gorta refers to a cursed or enchanted patch of grass. The term is also closely tied to an fear gorta, meaning "the hungry man" or famine spirit. Because the phrases sound nearly identical, the cursed ground and the phantom spirit are deeply linked in Irish tradition. 
[photo above: with two beloved cousins at An Féar Gorta in 2013---Monica (Guthrie) Donovan and the late Mary Guthrie]


__________________________________________________________________________






My mother was from the Loughrea area in county Galway, but my grandmother, my father's mother, was born in Ballyvaughan on January 5th, 1881. Her name was Margaret Guthrie, and the house where she was born and raised is still there in town. She came to the States with the rest of my father's family in the 1920s and died in New York of pneumonia at age 52, years before I was born. In spite of that, I have always felt close to her spirit, which finds its way upon occasion into my writing, as in this poem:


 [photo: Margaret Guthrie and her son Patrick Winch, ca. 1907]




Chicken Scratch 

Come meet the grandmother
who took all the questions she could
find and hid them in the kitchen.
She brings true love to the slaves
on the ships and the serfs who
dig the land. She is drinking from
a bottle of hooch hidden under
the bed.  You can apologize to
her or confess. Either way, she
doesn’t care. She is always 
the shape the clouds make.
An elephant, a snake.
She says she is the point of every
story, back to the days when
only accountants could write
and words looked like chicken
scratch.  She can’t explain her
non-existence. It ‘s just the way
it is, she says. She is waiting 
in the old world to be discovered
by the new. She is waiting
in the wings for time to go
back before the 1937
pneumonia that struck her down
and stuck her in the ground 
for good. Oh, you and me, she says, 
we would have such fun 
at the funerals and wakes, 
we would dig up every joke 
in the book and fill the universe 
with our filthy laughter.


—from The Known Universe (Hanging Loose Press, 2018)


©Terence Winch  
Permission required to use any of the contents of this post. 




Comments

  1. Oh Terence what fabulous poems, I remember them from past readings but believe I just discovered your universe all over again today-- by the way I feel--Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you kidding me with that scrumptious dessert table?! I'll have one of everything, starting with the rhubarb tart.

    Wonderful poems, beautiful photos.
    Thank you for sharing this sweet experience with me, dear Terence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Emily: I know! I could devour everything on that table (which I think I may have).

      Delete
  3. Wonderful poems! Do people think you have your grandmother’s eyes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Abbie---Only you, so far. She supposedly wrote poetry, another reason I've always felt connected to her. (Glad you like the poems.)

      Delete
  4. You make these lost places and relatives live again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of these poems are magic Terence. I wallow in your poetry sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful and tender poetry, prose, and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stories and poems as always Terence. I know that your grandmama was a Guthrie which makes me wonder whether your talent for writing about people in life might also be related to Woody’s wonderful way with words. thank you was always for sharing with us your life experiences.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Bronx Irish Christmas Long Ago [Terence Winch]

Prayer to Saint Patrick [Terence Patrick Winch]

Memo to Bridie Flynn [Terence Winch]